Wednesday, January 8, 2014

merry christmas to a colts fan

As promised, here's one of the commissions I had for the holidays this year. My friend Monica ordered this quilt for her niece, who is a huge Indianapolis Colts fan. Monica chose the basic pattern for this lap-size quilt and let me run with the Colts fabric. I picked out 2 blues, 2 grays, and black and white to coordinate with the 2 Colts patterns. I was a little ticked at the Colts organization for not including a third color to go with the blue and white in the logo. It would have made for more variety in MY quilt. No one in the Colts' front office has responded to my complaint.

Monica mentioned that Peyton Manning is her niece's all-time favorite player and that if I could include something about Peyton, it would be great. Well, in case you've been hiding under a rock for the last couple years, news flash -- Peyton now plays for the Broncos. No more Colts #18 stuff. So I made this block by appliquéing numbers in the Colts' logo typeface. I quilted with these double diagonal lines all over, and bound the quilt with this perfect royal blue stripe. This same print in another color appeared in my red and aqua quilt last year. Love that stuff.

I got all excited about the back! I already HAD this black/white number print and the typeface is just the same as the Colts'! Clearly it was meant to be. But not without a little work -- I only had 2 yards of the number print. So I added some Colts fabric scraps and some black/white dot.

This was a fun project -- I hope Monica's niece liked it! More holiday gifts next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment