Sunday, February 10, 2013

faux fur for faux winter

I was enchanted with the faux furs when I went fabric shopping in the L.A. garment district with my best sewing friend Tana--they were so soft and came in so many pretty colors and textures, some natural-looking, some more fanciful. (Pink mohawk, anyone?) The very next day I read this tutorial over at another of my favorite blogs, Aesthetic Nest. Now Anneliese lives in a cold and snowy place, while my home is mostly warm and sunny, but little faux fur scarves could be just right for our faux southern California winter. Throw one on with a jean jacket and you're ready for almost anything Mother Nature dishes out down here. (Anyone who read my New Years letter--remember the teenagers and their blanket outerwear?)

Of course I was already done in the garment district when I got this inspiration, so I ended up buying my fur at my local JoAnn Fabric, at what I'm sure was a decent mark-up. But, hey, a quarter yard made two scarves AND I had a coupon. (And thanks to Bill for agreeing to stop at the fabric store on the way home from the Indian restaurant on Saturday night.)


I followed the tutorial as written for this first one--the white poodly fur is so soft! The satin lining is left over from Frances's Glinda dress from seventh-grade Halloween. One end of the scarf has what is essentially a big buttonhole that you pull the other end of the scarf through. It might be cute to add a pin also.


For this one I shortened and widened the scarf--it looks like a miniature fur stole. I love the swirly pattern in the sable-colored fur. Like a bed-head guinea pig. No idea why I had this scrap of charcoal satin but I liked them together.


Now I have some cute winter accessories for the approximately 15 minutes of winter we have left!

Just a disclaimer--I am vehemently anti-real-fur. I think real fur belongs on animals. But as long as fake fur is an end in itself and doesn't make people want animal fur, I'm all for it! Go ahead and wear it--we'll make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment