Saturday, October 20, 2012

well...

I had a big pile of costumes I promised to make for the dance department and today a lovely group of sewing volunteers came and picked all of them up. Since I didn't have any dance costumes left to make I decided to make another yoga tunic with some fabric from my Nana's stash.
I was excited about using this 70's vintage floral--I thought the light weight would be good for class and I like the retro look of it. (Unfortunately, being actually vintage 70's fabric, I think it's at best a cotton-poly blend.) The solid periwinkle is also from Nana--I used it before in Frances's Flying Geese duvet cover.

The pattern is Butterick 4684, which I used for my flowered yoga tunic. I wanted to try inverting the facing around the neck so it would be a contrast. I had to make up a facing for the back of the neck, but I think it worked out ok. (Nice wrinkles. I fished it out of the laundry to take these photos.)
So with the whole thing done... Well... I'm not crazy about it and I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it's too wide in the shoulders. Maybe the contrast facing is a little too big--it might be better if it were shaped around the slashed neck. I added some top-stitching and I think that helps a little, but I think it just turned out a little TOO authentically vintage looking. I can totally see my mom wearing this in some faded Polaroid circa 1974.

I just have to remind myself that I have exactly $0 invested in this project and it did provide a perfectly acceptable top to wear to class, not to mention an enjoyable afternoon of sewing. We'll call that a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment