Friday, June 21, 2013

vintage modern christmas


I finished this quilt a few weeks ago. I adapted the pattern from a few brick-style quilts I'd seen online, particularly this one by Rachel at Stitched in Color. The top went together quite quickly and I like the non-traditional colors for Christmas.

I started with this vintage mod-style street scene and then added in some fabrics that went along -- some I already had, some bargains, and some splurges. (It's easier to splurge when you only need quarter yards!) I like the way both the blue and green look like snow in their own way.

I got the brainstorm to quilt in this chicken-wire pattern when I saw it on some blog about patterns you can do with a just a walking foot. Ok, you can do this, but WHY??? I got about a quarter through before I decided this was no fun at all. But by then I was committed. In the end I think it turned out fine but way more trouble than it was worth. I'm sticking with straight lines for a while.

Here's the back -- this photo really shows off the crinkliness in a nice way. Just some scraps of the fabrics from the front and bound in a solid black.

It's been hanging in front of the fireplace since I finished it, but now I'm ready to pack it up and surprise myself with it in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment