Friday, January 24, 2014

put a bird on it

This is the first of my Hipster Doofus series. Browsing the fabric stores over time, I noticed how many new fabrics featured birds in the design, some in fairly odd designs (herons perched on the back of a sofa?). And after watching one of my all time fave Portlandia sketches, I started noticing birds all over EVERYTHING. There was this cafe in St. George, Utah we referred to all weekend as Put A Bird On It -- I don't actually remember what the actual name was. That should make it interesting to Google it next time we're there. St. George is not that big though -- I think we'll be able to find it. But I digress.

You've seen this design before -- it's the same as the Colts quilt I made for Christmas. The center of each block in this one features a different bird.




I chose a palate of solids that seemed kind of modern and, I don't know, Portlandia-ish. I had seen a similar quilt on Craftyblossom so that was in my head. I quilted in gray with double diagonals and double lines around each block. That worked pretty well, but there was still a little puckering at the intersections of the perpendicular lines. Thank goodness for washing and drying.

For the back I chose a hunk of one of the bird prints and one of the colors, along with more of that black and white bolt. (I think it's almost gone now.) I like the way the quilting looks on the back.

With all the solids on the front, I wanted to bind it with a print, but I couldn't decide on just one. Also, since I was mostly working with quarter yards, I didn't have enough of any one fabric. So I decided I liked a scrappy binding better anyway. I chose the lowest volume patterns for maximum contrast with the solids.

This was one I thought about for a long time before I actually made it and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It's taken up residence on the back of the couch and will hopefully be used well for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment