Wednesday, July 17, 2013

washi party

I have been meaning to try this pattern for quite a while now. I love the way the dress looks, I love the empire-waisted tunic, I love the notch in the neck. I have also had both of these fabrics for a long time (see this post and this post) so it was definitely time for a Washi party around here!

I got invited to a Hawaiian-themed Bunco night, so I decided it was time to break out the pink floral from last year's trip. I had more than 36 hours to make a new dress -- what?! I was a little unsure about starting out with a new, indie pattern with such a tight production schedule. I have been sewing with commercial patterns since I was a kid so I feel like I pretty much know what to expect from them. I have been a little skeptical of some online clothing tutorials and independent patterns I've seen in books -- many of them don't seem all the way thought out. But I decided to take the plunge anyway!

Well, this pattern from Made by Rae was really spectacular! It took quite a while to print and tape together, but once it was ready to go it did not disappoint. Everything fit together perfectly, it ran true to the measurements given in the directions, and those directions were super clear and easy to understand. I don't know when I have ever had something turn out more exactly like I expected! My family are all tired of hearing me sing the praises of the Washi dress pattern -- I am practically stopping people in the street to tell them about it.

The dress is really comfortable and I think it made up really nicely with this pink Hawaiian fabric.

I liked it so much, I immediately hauled out these green skirts and started cutting out a sleeveless tunic. I had plenty of fabric width but the skirts weren't long enough to get the entire length of the back in one piece. So I split the back piece at the high waist and then I was able to use the seam allowance to make a casing for the elastic. (As with the pink dress, I decided not to try tackle shirring on this go-around.) I thought I remembered seeing Rae or another of her followers substitute a casing and elastic, and I was perfectly happy with how that turned out.

The new serger made the insides almost as pretty as the outsides.

So that's the Washi Party at my house. I think both of these babies are going on vacation with me this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment